If you own your own home, then you probably have a concern for the safety of your family and the safety of your belongings in your home. You are probably also considering a home security system, but you may not know enough about them to proceed. There is a lot of debate about whether or not home security systems actually do the job they claim to. Many people complain that sensors aren't placed where they should be or it's too easy to get around for burglars that are experienced. Here are a few things to consider if you're looking into purchasing a home security system.
- What are your expectations as far as response time goes? If you are going to have an alarm system, then you need to make sure your expectations are in line with reality. If you live in a big city, then it could take anywhere from 30 to 45 minutes for someone to respond to your alarm. If you live in a small town, the norm is about 6 to 8 minutes.
- How many of your neighbors have alarm systems? It's been shown that the more alarms you have in your neighborhood, the less likely it is that burglars will choose that area. So if you can convince all of your neighbors to purchase alarm systems, your neighborhood would be safer than ever. Or if your neighbors already have them, it would be more beneficial for you to get one too.
- Would you rather have a few things stolen or a lot? Another thing to consider is that even though your burglar will most likely get away with something even if you have an alarm system, they likely won't get away with much. Once the alarm goes off, burglars are more likely to take off sooner than if there wasn't one, so while they may steal your big screen TV, they'll probably leave the jewelry upstairs.
- How much are you paying in homeowners insurance? Most insurance companies give discounts for homes that have alarm systems. It won't offset the cost of the alarm system, but it will help. Check with your insurance company to see how much you could save.
- What other security measures are you interested in? There are other types of security that can come with home alarm systems. You can install cameras with motion sensors so you can see who is entering in your house and when, a bonus for parents of teenagers. You can also purchase fire alarms, heat sensors, carbon monoxide detectors, and even an alarm that tells you when your pipes are getting ready to freeze while you're out of town.
One of the greatest benefits of having a home security system is the peace of mind you will feel in knowing that your home is protected, so keep these questions in mind the next time you're considering buying a home security system, and be sure to check with Alarm Reviews.Share